The Asian Pacific American Librarians Association Scholarship will provide financial assistance to a student of Asian or Pacific background who is enrolled, or has been accepted into, a master’s or doctoral degree program in library and/or information science at a school accredited by the American Library Association (ALA).
Eligibility Criteria for the Award
- Applicant must be attending or admitted into a master’s degree or doctoral program in library and/or information science at a school accredited by ALA.
- Applicant must be in library school by Fall 2015. Applicant may be either a full-time or part-time student.
- Applicant must be of Asian/Pacific Islander heritage.
- Applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of the U. S. or Canada.
- Applicant must be an APALA member in good standing by application deadline.
- Recipient may not receive more than one APALA scholarship award.
- Recipient will serve on the Scholarship Committee the following year.
How to Apply
Complete the APALA Scholarship online application by April 4, 2016.
Selection Procedures and Timeline
- The Scholarship & Awards Committee Chair will receive the completed Application Packages by April 4, 2016.
- The Scholarship & Awards Committee members will review the applications and submit recommendations for scholarship recipients to the Committee Chair by April 18, 2016.
- The Committee Chair will select recipient by April 22, 2016 and notify the recipient as well as the other applicants who were not selected.
- A scholarship check will be distributed to the recipient after proof of enrollment for the fall and spring semesters in an accredited graduate program are provided.
- The scholarship shall be administered under the By Laws of APALA.
- One $1000 scholarship will be awarded. The funds are given in $500 payments at the beginning of fall and spring semesters. However, if the Scholarship Fund should grow to an extent that sufficient income is available to finance more than one scholarship in a given year, the Scholarship & Awards Committee shall have the authority to award additional scholarships as authorized by the Executive Board. Additional scholarships will be awarded based on the same criteria and factors stated above.
- In the event that no applicants satisfy the selection criteria in a given year, no scholarship will be awarded, with the option to grant additional scholarships the following year.
- Members of the Scholarship & Awards Committee are ineligible for any of the awards. If a Scholarship & Awards Committee member would like to apply for an award, they need to step aside from the selection committee for that specific award.
- An APALA member who receives any APALA grant/award may not receive another grant/award in the same year.
The Scholarship Committee Chair must receive the completed application packages by April 4, 2016. If you have any further questions or need additional information, please contact the APALA Research & Travel Award Committee chair Melanee Vicedo at firstname.lastname@example.org and co-chair Valeria Molteni at email@example.com
The selection committee is composed of Anna Coats, Hannah Rainey, Harrison Inefuku, Christina Nhek, Frans Albarillo, Cynthia Orozco, Paolo Gujilde.
Past APALA Scholarship Winners
- Hannah Rainey (2014)
- Christina Nhek (2013)
- Paul Lai (2012)
- Jina Park (2011)
- Harrison W. Inefuku (2010)
- Vivian Wong (2009)
- Michael Habata (2008)
- Julian Yoko Prentice (2007)
- Lana Thelen (2006)
- Richard Le (2005)
- Jody Lovaj (2004)
- Florante Ibanez and Thu Phuong Hoang Nguyen (2003)
- Todd Honma and Eydie Detera (2002)