The APALA Travel Grant will provide $500.00 to support attendance at the American Library Association (ALA) Annual Conference. The Travel Grant will fund one APALA member to attend the conference and will be used to help cover registration and travel expenses.
- Applicant must be a current APALA member in good standing by application deadline.
- Applicant must be either a student who is enrolled in a master’s or doctoral degree program in library and/or information science at a school accredited by ALA, or a professional possessing a master’s degree or doctoral degree in library and/or information science.
- Applicant must be a citizen or permanent resident of the United States or Canada.
How to Apply
Complete the APALA Travel Grant online application by March 7, 2017.
Selection Procedures and Timeline
- The APALA Scholarship & Awards Committee will select and notify the recipient by March 25, 2016. The winner will be announced by June 6, 2017.
- The Travel Award check will be distributed at the ALA Annual Conference.
- The recipient will submit a report to the APALA Scholarship & Awards Committee after the ALA conference discussing what they gained from attendance and how the Award assisted them. This report will be due by September 1, 2017.
- The APALA Travel Award shall be administered under the By-Laws of APALA.
- In the event that no applicants satisfy the criteria, no travel award will be given, with the option to grant an additional award the following year.
- Members of the APALA Scholarship & Awards Committee are ineligible for any of the awards. If a Scholarship & Awards Committee member would like to apply for an award, they need to step aside from the selection committee for that specific award. An APALA member who receives any APALA grant/award may not receive another grant/award in the same year.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact the APALA Scholarship & Awards Committee chair Melanee Vicedo at email@example.com and co-chair Cynthia Mari Orozco at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The selection committee is composed of Melanee Vicedo, Cynthia Mari Orozco, Hannah Rainey, Melody Leung, Miriam Tuliao, Jessica Tai, Jennifer Shellman, and Christina Nhek.
Past Travel Grant Winners
- Jennifer Shellman (2016)
- Shanna Shiah (2015)
- Gerie Ventura (2014)
- Linda Nguyen (2013)
- Catherine Phan (2012)
- Cynthia Mari Orozco (2011)
- Lessa Kanani’opua Pelayo-Lozado (2010)
- Sally Ma (2009)